Asking yourself a few basic questions as you begin to plan your remodeling project will help you discover the real, underlying reasons why you want to renovate your home. There are always major reasons that motivate you to want to change your living space. Your remodeling contractor, like us- NJW… Columbus, Ohio remodeling contractors, will also need to understand the reasons why you want to remodel so that they can design the most functional and beautiful spaces for you!
This self-reflection process is an important first step; your answers are important and will help you:
- Focus your vision and goals for the project
- Help you communicate them clearly to your contracting team
- Result in an enjoyable, no-stress remodeling process
- Give you the beautiful new living space that perfectly suits you and your family’s needs
Here are a few questions to help you clarify the reasons why you want to remodel your home:
WHICH ROOM(S) ARE NO LONGER COMFORTABLE, UNDERUSED, OR DO NOT SUPPORT THE WAY YOU WANT TO LIVE IN YOUR HOME?
Some examples might include:
- The kitchen is too small to allow two or more people to cook or gather together comfortably; or perhaps you cook often and need upgraded appliances, more food prep area, and more storage space
- When family or guests are in the living room or dining room, they are separated from you (by a wall) while you are in the kitchen alone, preparing food
- The master bathroom feels cramped, the vanity is cluttered with products (not enough storage), you share one sink with your spouse, etc.
- You are embarrassed by the outdated look of the room(s) or the home in general
WHAT IS THE BUDGET THAT WE ARE PREPARED TO SPEND?
This may be a difficult discussion, but it’s very important to be honest with yourself and realistic about expectations. Here’s why:
- Designing to your budget is key to the process and helps ensure that you get the beautiful project you desire within the total amount you plan on spending
- By being upfront about your budget, you actually help the Design Team maximize each dollar spent; their time and efforts on your behalf are focused on the highest quality materials at the best value
DO WE WANT TO STAY IN THIS HOME AS WE AGE? SHOULD WE REMODEL TO INCREASE SAFETY, MANEUVERABILITY, AND ACCESS?
Universal Design (or Aging-in-Place) incorporates elements into a remodel that can make your home safe, comfortable and accessible for years to come. Universal Design is for everyone, regardless of age and abilities, but is increasingly popular with aging populations who wish to remain and live independently in the home they love.
- As people age, they increasingly desire to remain in their homes for as long as possible. However, many times for the safety of an elderly parent there comes a need to move in with other family members. Whether remaining in their home or preparing a home for the addition of an aging family member, these are some of the reasons we have seen the need for the aging in place design remodel within homes.
- Universal Design is not just for the aging. We know thoughts go straight to our senior citizens, but we are here to tell you that is not the case! Kid-safe areas in the kitchen, durable floors that are stroller (or wheelchair) friendly and privacy solutions for teens are also Universal Design solutions that allow multi-generational living in one home.
We believe that understanding your own needs will help us deliver the perfect remodel! Contact us today to see how we can help you get started!