As your columbus ohio remodeling contractors, NJW enjoys providing helpful tips that can enhance your home or renovation. We are beginning a series of “tricks of the trade” blogs that will contain information we hope you find helpful.
Our first topic is grout, although no one ever views grout as a glamorous topic, we know that with the right grout and proper installation it can make a big difference in your bathroom and kitchen remodeling project.
Here are some great tips that will help you with your next project that requires grout:
- Use wall tile grout where the gap between tiles is 1/8th inch or less. For larger gaps, use sanded floor tile grout. If you use the wall tile grout on larger gaps, it can shrink and crack when it cures.
- Before mixing the grout, be sure it is a fine powder without any lumps. If you find lumps, don’t use the grout. It means there has been some water or water vapor penetration that reacts with the grout and it has gone bad.
- The single most important thing with grout is to mix it with the right amount of water. Too much water will result in a crumbly, unstable grout when it has cured. Too little water and the grout won’t fill the gaps between the tile properly. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once you have your grout mixed properly, never be tempted to add additional water if it is starting to get hard in the bucket. This can ruin your finished grout. It’s much better to mix up a fresh batch of grout.
- When you are wiping down the grouted joints with a sponge, make sure all excess water has been squeezed out of the sponge. If the sponge is too wet, it can ruin your grout.
- When learning how to grout tile, it’s worth setting some spare tile on some plywood so that you can practice the process of grouting before applying grout to your new floor or wall tiles.
Remember practice makes perfect…and if you rather just hire someone that has had a lot of practice, please contact your custom home remodeling company, NJW today.
We currently build in Pickerington, Powell, Hilliard,Worthington,Whitehall,New Albany,Westerville,Lancaster, Bexley,Upper Arlington,Gahanna,Dublin, Columbus and all of Central Ohio. Contact us today!