As your Columbus, Ohio general contractors we are very careful when it comes to mold and other toxins you might find in your home, or uncover when doing a new room addition. Often when we begin a residential renovation, we look for signs of mold or any toxins that might be harmful to the homeowner.
Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture. As you may have guessed we typically spot mold while beginning a bathroom renovation.
Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors. If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem. If you clean up the mold, but don’t fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back.
These tips will help you clean up your mold problem. Please note that mold may cause staining and cosmetic damage. It may not be possible to clean an item so that its original appearance is restored, but cleaning it up and fixing the problem is the utmost importance to your health and the stability of the home.
- Fix plumbing leaks and other water problems as soon as possible. Dry all items completely.
- Scrub mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water, and dry completely.
- Absorbent or porous materials, such as ceiling tiles and carpet, may have to be thrown away if they become moldy. Mold can grow on or fill in the empty spaces and crevices of porous materials, so the mold may be difficult or impossible to remove completely.
- Avoid exposing yourself or others to mold (see discussions: What to Wear When Cleaning Moldy Areas and Hidden Mold).
- Do not paint or caulk moldy surfaces. Clean up the mold and dry the surfaces before painting. Paint applied over moldy surfaces is likely to peel.
When you choose NJW to handle your home remodeling project, you can rest assured that we will be certain to do everything we can to keep you safe and healthy in your home!
We currently build in Westerville, Worthington, Whitehall, Upper Arlington, Powell, Pickerington, New Albany, Lancaster, Hilliard, Gahanna, Dublin, Bexley, Columbus and all of Central Ohio. Contact us today!