It’s a new year, and maybe you want to make some changes around your home. Specifically, decluttering…At NJW, your home remodeling company Columbus, Ohio- we know it is hard to let go of things, but it is also chaotic to live amongst clutter! Once you’ve dealt with the emotional reasons you can begin to take action!
Here are 10 tips to declutter your home:
- Set yourself a goal or a deadline.Setting goals creates motivation and energy so you can throw yourself into the task.
- Have fun with it!Don’t think of this as a big chore instead decide to have some fun with it. Crank up the stereo with your favorite music and just enjoy the time, think of the outcome and enjoy the moment.
- Help others less fortunate than you.You can give away things that you no longer need to those who genuinely are in need. When we take the focus off ourselves and onto others it stops us from obsessing over insignificant things, and let’s face it, some of our attachments to “things” aren’t necessary!
- Sort things into 4 large piles– the first section to throw out, the second section for charity, the third section to sell and the fourth section to keep.
- Work quickly– don’t spend too much time trying to decide what to keep or get rid of. Your gut impulse is usually right.
- Create a “maybe” pile.Instead of spending a lot of time over some items, have a ‘maybes’ pile and return to it later and deal with them all in one go.
- Let go.If you’ve enjoyed something in the past but you feel you probably won’t use it again – pass on it. Imagine how great it will be to give that experience to someone else.
- Buy an A-Z fileto keep all of your documents organized. This is a life saver!
- Find ‘places’ for things.Decide on a place for items like your keys, sunglasses or wallet. Stick to it and you’ll never lose another item again… well maybe less often!
- Keep your eyes on the prize.Visualize how amazing your home will look when you’re done. Have a clear picture of what you want it to look like – and keep referring back to this to keep you going!
Commit to doing it and make a date to get started, don’t delay- you can enjoy a clear & spacious home with less stress and more happiness!
We might not help you declutter but we can help you make your home exactly how you envisioned, contact us today to see what we can do for you-740.800.7050!